Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Bastard Hand sold...


... and it's only about time, right?
In January, I got an e-mail from the editor and publisher of the remarkable New Pulp Press, saying that he'd read the first two chapters of The Bastard Hand (posted over there to the right) and was interested in seeing the rest. I'd previously shopped the book around to a few literary agents, without success-- "too offensive", some said, or "too difficult to market", or even just "Not for us". Frankly, I'd given up on finding a good home for it.
And then along comes New Pulp, a publisher that exists for the sole purpose of putting out weird psycho-noir that doesn't even have a nodding acquaintance with the mainstream. The editor took about a month to read The Bastard Hand before getting back to me with the good news: he loves the book, he GETS the book, and he wants to publish it.
I'm very very pleased about this whole thing. I knew from the beginning that The Bastard Hand wasn't something that would ever find a big market; it's just not that kind of book. But after examining other books that New Pulp has put out, I'm thrilled to be associated with them. They are a publisher of integrity and particular vision and I think they're a perfect match for The Bastard Hand.
Look for the novel to appear in January of 2011.

1 comment:

  1. Hot Diggity! Yay! Whaaaa-hoo! Congrats! That's terrific! And I can't wait to get a copy in my dirty little hands! (and one to read, too!)

    ReplyDelete